About University of Kwazulu Natal, UKZN
The University of KwaZulu-Natal is a university with five campuses in the province of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. It was formed on 1 January 2004 after the merger between the University of Natal and the University of Durban-Westville.
UKZN aims to establish a value-driven organisational culture that empowers the Institution and its people to achieve institutional goals. The guiding values are Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Client Orientation, Honesty, and Trust – represented as R.E.A.C.H.T The behaviour and actions of everyone at UKZN will, accordingly, demonstrate:
- Respect: UKZN undertakes to promote mutual respect, courtesy, and inclusiveness.
- Excellence: UKZN undertakes to display quality, leadership and energy in all that it does.
- Accountability: UKZN promises to be responsible and accountable in the behaviour displayed towards all its stakeholders.
- Client Orientation: UKZN undertakes to satisfy the needs of all its clients, stakeholders and partners, on a consistent basis.
- Honesty: UKZN promises to deliver with integrity – steadfastly and with adherence to good governance.
- TrustT: The ‘T’ symbol after reacht refers to the principle of ‘trust’ that underpins all of the other institutional values. The implicit trust enjoyed by every member of UKZN and their well-defined actions that embrace the R.E.A.C.H.T values are the important ingredients of the moral fibre of the Institution.
The University comprises numerous faculties, schools, colleges and departments.
Find the list of Faculties and or colleges available at the university (UKZN)
UKZN Contact details
For various queries that involve admission, student help, the fee structure, courses and requirements at the UKZN you can use the following contact details and information.
DBN: +27 31 260 1111
PMB: +27 33 260 5111
or Call +27 31 260 8596 and follow the voice prompts
More UKZN contact details: https://ukzn.ac.za/contact-us/general/
University of Kwazulu Natal, UKZN Courses and Requirements
To secure admission at the UKZN prospective students must meet the University admission requirements for the specific academic year. The following are the admission requirements for admission at UKZN.
|. National Senior Certificate or Senior Certificate|
1.1 Applicants to undergraduate degree programmes must be in possession of a National Senior Certificate for Degree Studies (NSC-Deg) or a Senior Certificate with endorsement.
1.2 Applicants to undergraduate diploma programmes must be in possession of a National Senior Certificate for Diploma studies (NSC-Dip) or Senior Certificate.
|2. Medium of Instruction|
The medium of instruction at UKZN is English, and UKZN requires a pass in English (Home Language or First Additional Language (FAL)) at Level 4 (50% or above) but note that the College of Law requires a pass in English Home language at Level 5 or English as FAL on Level 6. For admission to Diplomas or Alternative Access programmes a lower performance in English may be acceptable. In the Senior Certificate a pass for English at First or Second Language HG E is required.
|3. Life Orientation|
UKZN degree programmes require a pass in Life orientation at Level 4.
|4. Minimum Composite Academic Performance Score|
(NSC-Deg and Senior Certificate)
Each programme has determined a minimum composite Academic Performance Score required for admission to the programme. This is however the minimum score required for consideration and learners just meeting this minimum cannot be assured of admission. Applicants to programmes are ranked according to APS and selection is done from the top down until the number of places available in the specific programme is filled. Competition for places is high and it is unlikely that applicants not meeting the APS for a specific programme will be considered.
|5. Subject requirements and Levels of Performance|
In addition subject requirements and minimum Levels of performance in specific subjects are set for admission to UKZN programmes. Applicants who did not include the correct subjects in their NSC-Deg or who did not obtain the required level of performance in specific subjects required for admission to a programme, will not be considered.
Courses and Programmes Offered at UKZN
Please note the campus abbreviations refer as follows:
E = Edgewood
H= Howard College
M = Medical School
P = Pietermaritzburg
W = Westville
Please refer to the 2022 Undergraduate Prospectusfor a full description of the Programmes
College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science
|B Sc Eng: Agricultural||H&P|
|B Sc Eng: Chemical||H&P|
|B Sc Eng: Civil||H&P|
|B Sc Eng: Computer||H&P|
|B Sc Eng: Electrical||H&P|
|B Sc Eng: Electronic||H&P|
|B Sc Eng: Mechanical||H&P|
|B Sc: Land Surveying||H|
|B Sc Eng: Extended Programme||H|
|B Sc: Property Development||H|
|B Agric (Agricultural Extensions and Rural Resource Management)||P (Cedara College)|
|B Agricultural Management||P|
|B Sc Agric||P|
|B Sc Agric: Agribusiness||P|
|B Sc Agric: Agricultural Economics||P|
|B Sc Agric: Agricultural Plant Sciences||P|
|B Sc Agric: Animal and Poultry Science||P|
|B Sc Agric: Plant Pathology||P|
|B Sc Agric: Soil Science||P|
|B Sc Stream LES (Life Earth Sciences)||P&W|
|B Sc Stream M (Mathematics)||P&W|
|B Sc Applied Chemistry||W|
|B Sc Biological Science||P&W|
|B Sc Chemistry and Chemical Technology||P|
|B Sc Computer Science and Information Technology||P&W|
|B Sc Crop and Horticultural Science||P|
|B Sc Dietetics||P|
|B Sc Environmental Science||P&W|
|B Sc Environmental Earth Science||P&W|
|B Sc Geological Science||W|
|B Sc Industrial and Applied Biotechnology||P|
|B Sc Marine Biology||W|
|B Sc 4 Augmented Programme||P&W|
College of Health Sciences
|Bachelor of Audiology||W|
|Bachelor of Speech-Language Therapy||W|
|B Dental Therapy||W|
|B Medical Science: Anatomy||W|
|B Medical Science: Physiology||W|
|B Occupational Therapy||W|
|B Sport Science||W|
|B Medicine & B Surgery||M|
College of Humanities
|B A (General Studies)||H&P|
|B A Cultural & Heritage Tourism||H|
|B A Philosophy, Politics and Law||H&P|
|B A International Studies||P|
|B A Music||H|
|B A Music & Drama Performance||H|
|B A Visual Art||P|
|B Soc Sc (General Studies)||H & P|
|B Soc Sc Geography & Environmental Management||H & P|
|B Soc Sc Government, Business & Ethics||P|
|B Soc Sc Housing||H|
|B Architectural Studies||H|
|B Social Work||H|
|B Soc Sc Extended Curriculum Programme||H&P|
College of Law and Management Studies
|B Laws||H & P|
|B Laws (p/t)||H & P|
|B Business Administration||P & W|
|B Business Science||P & W|
|B Com||P & W|
|B Com Accounting||P & W|
|B Com Extended Curriculum (General)||P & W|
|B Com Extended Curriculum (Accounting)||P & W|
University of Kwazulu Natal Prospectus (UKZN Prospectus Pdf Download)
UKZN Prospectus comprises the list of courses, course information, campus facilities, accommodation, fees, financial support or bursaries, entry requirements and all admission application information to guide you through the UKZN admission process.
Fees structure – UKZN Fees structure
If you are looking for the UKZN Fees structure, this information is quite helpful and can be used positively.
- Visit the UKZN webpage at: https://ukzn.ac.za/
- Navigate to the UKZN Fees structure Page
- Upon successfully visiting the page you will find Fee structure details as per your requirements.
- Access the UKZN Fees and or download the fees brochure on your device for reference
University Student Portal
Accessing UKZN Student Portal
The UKZN student portal provides an engaging student experience with a single point of access to all applications, information, and content necessary for university studies.
How to access/login to the UKZN student portal
- Open your internet browser e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- Go to: UKZN Student portal: https://ukzn.ac.za/students/students/
- Go to: UKZN Student central: https://sc.ukzn.ac.za/
- Then log in with your username and password
- Once logged in, you will be able to perform any of the academic activities.
How to Recover Your UKZN Student Portal Forgotten Password?
- To reset your password, submit your username or your email address. If you are found in the database, an email will be sent to your email address, with instructions on how to get access again.
University admission- Online application
UKZN Online application
|UKZN Application Forms|
|UKZN Internal Applications|
- If you are a currently registered UKZN student and wish to apply for a different qualification please use the Internal Undergraduate Application Form and email it to Applications@ukzn.ac.za.
- For Internal Undergraduate Applications CLICK HERE
- For Postgraduate Internal Application Form (Excluding Masters or Doctoral Programmes) CLICK HERE
- For Postgraduate Internal Application Form (Masters and Doctoral Programmes) CLICK HERE
- Completed Application forms must be emailed back to Applications@ukzn.ac.za
- Internal Undergraduate students applying for Postgraduate studies may apply online Click here to apply online
Please remember to upload the following documents (where applicable)
- Certified copy of your ID/passport.
- Certified copy of your National Senior/Matric Certificate or O/A Levels or relevant school leaving qualification/certificate.
- Proof from Universities South Africa (previously known as HESA), that you qualify for admission to degree studies at South Africa universities, if you are an international applicant. For more information, refer to the undergraduate prospectus
- Certified copies of your degree certificate(s), academic record and certificate of conduct, if you attended other universities.
- Proof of English proficiency for International applicants from non-English speaking countries.
- South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) evaluations if the previous qualification(s) was/were obtained at foreign universities (outside South Africa).
- A research proposal/proposed title of the dissertation/thesis if you are applying for a Masters Degree or PhD.
- A valid study visa to study in SA if you are an International applicant.
- Before applying online please make sure that you have read the guidelines above.
- Please ensure that you have the HESA/SAQA documents to be uploaded in order to complete your application.
- Please ensure to use reference APPN (followed by your student number) when making application fee payment.
- Please allow the system 24 hrs to 48 hrs to clear your payment.
- South African Undergraduate first time applicants must apply via CAO at: www.cao.ac.za
When to apply at UKZN – UKZN application dates
Applications open between May and close around August every year. Please try to submit your application as soon as possible. Because some Universities do not consider late applications.
UKZN Application status
When the UKZN updates your application, you will receive email communication. Please Keep on monitoring your email account closely for updates. You can also check your status online with the log-in credentials that were provided after your application. Keep in mind that some universities do not disclose your application status telephonically.
To check the progress of your application through the UKZN Online application portal follow these easy steps:
To check the status of your application, use your ID, CAO or UKZN student number in the field provided. The outcome of your application could be one of the following
1. Firm offer
- Offer without residence or funding
- Offer with residence
- Offer without funding
2. Pending statuses where no decision has been made
- Referred for decision
- Awaiting academic record or other documentation
3. Regret status because
- You did not meet the admissions requirements
- Programme is full
- The offer was withdrawn because you did not accept it within the specified period.
- You declined the offer
|Click here to Check Status|
If you have been made an offer, you need to watch for the Registration page on www.ukzn.ac.za for more information.
If your application is unsuccessful, please click HERE
How to accept UKZN admission offer
After a successful application, you will receive an admission offer from the University of Kwazulu Natal, to accept your UKZN offer of admission, log in to the UKZN Online application tool and select the “Confirm” tab. You must respond by the expiry date noted in your offer
|Accepting an Offer|
For information on accepting Undergraduate offer Click Here
For information on accepting a Postgraduate offer Click Here
The files below are only applicable to Postgraduate Students:
University Semester Exam Results
Check your UKZN semester Results
Checking UKZN, Semester exam results can be done through visiting the official UKZN website or logging in into the student’s portal through UKZN Student central: https://sc.ukzn.ac.za/ the click on the Results tab
University of Kwazulu Natal Website