About the University of Cape Town, UCT
UCT is an inclusive and engaged research-intensive African university that inspires creativity through outstanding achievements in learning, discovery and citizenship; enhancing the lives of its students and staff, advancing a more equitable and sustainable social order and influencing the global higher education landscape.
The University comprises numerous faculties, schools, colleges and departments.
Find the list of Faculties and or colleges available at the university (UCT)
UCT Contact details
For various queries that involve admission, student help, the fee structure, courses and requirements at the UCT you can use the following contact details and information.
- Postal: Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, 7701
Physical: Rondebosch, Cape Town, 7700
- Tel 021 650 9111
University of Cape Town, UCT Courses and Requirements
To secure admission at the UCT prospective students must meet the University admission requirements for the specific academic year. The following are the admission requirements for admission at UCT.
Eligibility for admission
The admission requirements differ depending on what you want to study. The criteria for certificate courses, diplomas and degrees is listed below:
Undergraduate Certificate Study
To confirm eligibility for admission to undergraduate certificate study, applicants must consult the Admissions Office or the faculty concerned.
Undergraduate Diploma Study
The minimum requirement for admission to undergraduate diploma study is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in 4 recognised NSC 20-credit subjects.
Bachelor’s Degree Study
To be eligible for admission to degree study, applicants need to meet minimum requirements for eligibility:
- Applicants holding a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) need to pass a minimum of 4 subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in any four 20-credit NSC subjects.
- Applicants holding a South African Senior Certificate need matriculation endorsement.
- Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates must qualify for a matriculation exemption certificate. For more information please visit the website of the Matriculation Board.
Minimum language proficiency
All applicants must have attained a certain level of proficiency in English and are required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below, as part of their application to study.
South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants
- South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or Second Language) at Senior Certificate level.
South African NSC undergraduate applicants
- South African NSC undergraduate applicants to UCT, must have achieved a rating of 2 (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or better at Home Language or First Additional Language level.
Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates
- Please see UCT’s language requirements.
For further information on the IELTS and TOEFL exams, please contact the UCT English Language Centre.
Calculating Admissions Points Score (APS)
The percentages achieved in National Senior Certificate examinations (preliminary and final examinations) will be allocated an admission score equal to that percentage.
The sum of 6 subjects, excluding Life Orientation, but including English and any required subject(s) for the relevant programme, is considered when deciding on admission. For example, for a given programme where Maths and Physical Sciences are required, we will take scores for English, Maths, Physical Sciences and the next best 3 subjects other than Life Orientation to compute the NSC score towards the APS.
Results below 40% for any subject do not attract a score.
List of Courses Offered at University of Cape Town
Organisationally, UCT is structured into faculties, five of which offer courses to study abroad and exchange students. Each faculty office houses academic departments which focus on particular subjects or disciplines.
The structure of course codes shows the academic department, year of study and semester. Bachelors courses carry 1000-level, 2000-level and 3000-level codes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years of study respectively. Masters courses have 5000-level codes. The suffix ‘F’ denotes courses offered in the First Semester (Feb-Jun) and suffix ‘S’ is for courses offered in the Second Semester (Jul-Nov).
Download each faculty handbook for details about available courses or click on the faculty link for more information on the academic departments and disciplines established in each faculty office.
Below is the full detail of all the undergraduate courses offered at the University of Cape Town, UCT:
Health Sciences Faculty
The Health Sciences Faculty offers the following undergraduate degrees and diplomas:
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Science in Audiology
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language Pathology
- Higher Certificate in Disability Practice
- Advanced Diploma in Cosmetic Formulation Science
Check all Courses and requirements here: http://www.studyabroad.uct.ac.za/choose-your-courses
University of Cape Town Prospectus (UCT Prospectus Pdf Download)
UCT Prospectus comprises the list of courses, course information, campus facilities, accommodation, fees, financial support or bursaries, entry requirements and all admission application information to guide you through the UCT admission process.
The undergraduate prospectus is a guide for school leavers and others interested in studying for a first degree at UCT.
The prospectus introduces you to life at UCT, describing the campus, its services and facilities. Details of all undergraduate programmes are provided.
Fees Structure – UCT Fees structure
If you are looking for the UCT Fee Structure, this information is quite helpful and can be used positively.
- Visit the UCT webpage at https://www.uct.ac.za/
- Navigate to the UCT Fees structure Page
- Upon successfully visiting the page you will find Fee structure details as per your requirements.
- Access the UCT Fees and or download the fees brochure on your device for reference
Accessing UCT Student Portal – Oracle PeopleSoft Sign-in
The UCT student portal provides an engaging student experience with a single point of access to all applications, information, and content necessary for university studies.
How to access/login to the UCT student portal
- Open your internet browser e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- Go to https://studentsonline.uct.ac.za/psp/students/?cmd=login
- Then log in with your username and password
- Once logged in, you will be able to perform any of the academic activities.
How To Recover Your UCT Student Portal Forgotten Password?
- To reset your password, submit your username or your email address. If you are found in the database, an email will be sent to your email address, with instructions on how to get access again.
UCT Online application
To complete your UCT online application please follow the following application procedures:
- Visit the UCT website and click on the Admission > Apply for Admission/ Study at UCT
- UCT Online Registration; Fill in your Information To register.
- Upload supporting documents; Everyone applying for a new qualification must submit the required documents (all first-time applicants and UCT students starting a new qualification).
- UCT Application fee payments (Note some universities do not charge application fees)
- Submit your completed application: To complete the application; the applicant is required to complete all steps related to the UCT application process.
When to apply at UCT – UCT application dates
Applications open between May and close around August every year. Please try to submit your application as soon as possible. Because some Universities do not consider late applications.
UCT Application status
When the UCT updates your application, you will receive email communication. Please Keep on monitoring your email account closely for updates. You can also check your status online with the log-in credentials that were provided after your application. Keep in mind that some universities do not disclose your application status telephonically.
To check the progress of your application through the UCT Online application portal follow these easy steps:
- Go to: http://studentsonline.uct.ac.za/
- Fill in the username and password then submit
- Upon successful login to the application portal, you will be able to see your application status (i.e. Pending Review, Requires Action, Complete, Undergraduate Admission Decisions, Pending, Admitted, Cleared Provisional, Admission, Ineligible, Quota Filled Not Selected or Cancelled).
How to accept UCT admission offer
After a successful application, you will receive an admission offer from the University of Cape Town, To accept your UCT offer of admission, log in to the UCT Online application tool and select the “Confirm” tab. You must respond by the expiry date noted in your offer
- To accept the UCT offer visit : http://studentsonline.uct.ac.za/ then navigate to “OFFER” and follow the instructions provided in the admission offer by the university.
Check your UCT semester Results
Checking UCT, Semester exam results can be done through visiting the official UCT website or logging in into the student’s portal through http://studentsonline.uct.ac.za/ the click on the Results tab
University of Cape Town Website