About Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, SMU
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) was established when the Minister of Higher Education and Training, Dr Blade Nzimande in terms of section 20 of the Higher Education Act 1997 (Act 101 of 1997), promulgated the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) in the SA Government Gazette no: 37658 of 16 May 2014.
The promulgation followed the announcement made in 2011, by Minister Nzimande, when he announced his intention to separate the Medunsa Campus from the University of Limpopo.
The minister’s intention was based on the findings and recommendations of the task team that was established and led by Prof Malegapuru Makgoba, former Vice-Chancellor of University of Kwa-Zulu Natal (UKZN) and Dr Max Price, the Vice-Chancellor of University of Cape Town (UCT).
The University comprises numerous faculties, schools, colleges and departments.
University of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences includes 5 schools in which every school offering wide range of health science education. have its departments
Find the list of schools and departments available at the university (SMU)
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
- Anatomical Pathology
- Chemical Pathology
- Cardio-thoracic Surgery
- Community Health
- Clinical Psychology
- Diagnostics Radiography
- Diagnostic Radiology & Imaging
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- Hand & Microsurgery
- Intensive Care
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Physics
- Nuclear Medicine
- Obsterics & Gynae.
- Occupational Medicine
- Orthopaedics Surgery
- Otorhinolaryngology (ENT)
- Paedstrics & Child Health
- Paediatric Surgery
- Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
SCHOOL OF PHARMACY
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Sciences,
- Pharmacy Practice,
- Public Health Pharmacy and Management.
- Master of Pharmacy in the disciplines of clinical pharmacy,
- Pharmaceutical sciences i.e. radiopharmacy,
SCHOOL OF HEALTH CARE SCIENCES
- B Cur Degree Programme
- BANS (BNSc) Degree Programme
- B Occ Ther Degree Programme
- BSc (Dietetics) Degree Programme
- BSc (Physiotherapy) Degree Programme
- BSLPA Degree Programme
- Honours Degree Programme
- B Nurs Hons H.Degree Programme
- Master’s Degree Programme
- M Nurs Degree Programme
- M Occ Ther Degree Programme
- MSc (Dietetics) Degree Programme
- MSc (Physiotherapy) Degree Programme
- MPH Degree Programme
- PhD (Occupational Therapy)
- PhD (Dietetics)
- PhD (Physiotherapy)
- PhD (Nursing Science)
- Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Dip OHN (Occupational Nursing)
- PGDip (Public Health)
SCHOOL OF ORAL HEALTH SCIENCES
- Maxillofacial Surgery Pathology and Orthodontics
- Periodontology Oral Medicine and community Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Biology
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of computer science
- Department of language proficiency
- Department of mathematics and applied mathematics
- Department of statistics and operations Research
University Contact Details
SMU Contact details
For various queries that involve admission, student help, the fee structure, courses and requirements at the SMU you can use the following contact details and information.
- Physical Address:
P.O Box 60
Medunsa, 0204Phone: (012) 521-5057 / 5059 / 5062Fax: (012) 560-0086
University Admission Requirements
To secure admission at the SMU prospective students must meet the University admission requirements for the specific academic year. The following are the admission requirements for admission at https://www.smu.ac.za/en/students/apply/ find more information on admission requirement for online admission, Manual Admission. Undergraduate Admission and international student requirement.
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University Prospectus (SMU Prospectus Pdf Download)
SMU Prospectus comprises the list of courses, course information, campus facilities, accommodation, fees, financial support or bursaries, entry requirements and all admission application information to guide you through the SMU admission process.
University Fees structure
Fees structure – SMU Fees structure
If you are looking for the SMU Fees structure, this information is quite helpful and can be used positively.
- Visit the SMU webpage at: https://www.smu.ac.za/students/fees-details/
- Navigate to the SMU student then Fees details Page
- Upon successfully visiting the page you will find Fee structure details as per your requirements.
- Access the SMU Fees and or download the fees brochure on your device for reference
University Student Portal
Accessing SMU Student Portal
The SMU student portal provides an engaging student experience with a single point of access to all applications, information, and content necessary for university studies.
How to access/login to the SMU student portal
- Open your internet browser e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- Go to: https://lifestudent.smu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login
- Then log in with your username and password
- Once logged in, you will be able to perform any of the academic activities.
How to Recover Your SMU Student Portal Forgotten Password?
- To reset your password, submit your username or your email address. If you are found in the database, an email will be sent to your email address, with instructions on how to get access again.
University admission- Online application
SMU Online application
To complete your SMU online application please follows the following application procedures:
- Visit the SMU website and click on the Admission > Apply for Admission
- Online Registration; Fill in your Information To register.
- Upload supporting documents; Everyone applying for a new qualification must submit the required documents (all first-time applicants and SMU students starting a new qualification).
- SMU Application fee payments (Note some universities do not charge application fees)
- Submit your completed application: To complete the application; the applicant is required to complete all steps related to the SMU application process.
When to apply at SMU – SMU application dates
Applications open between April and close around January every year. Please try to submit your application as soon as possible. Because some Universities do not consider late applications.
University Application status
SMU Application status
When the SMU updates your application, you will receive email communication. Please Keep on monitoring your email account closely for updates. You can also check your status online with the log-in credentials that were provided after your application. Keep in mind that some universities do not disclose your application status telephonically.
To check the progress of your application through the SMU Online application portal follow these easy steps:
- Go to: https://lifestudent.smu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login
- Fill in the username and password then submit
- Upon successful login to the application portal, you will be able to see your application status (i.e. Pending Review, Requires Action, Complete, Undergraduate Admission Decisions, Pending, Admitted, Cleared Provisional, Admission, Ineligible, Quota Filled Not Selected or Cancelled).
University Admission offers
How to accept SMU admission offer
After a successful application, you will receive an admission offer from the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, to accept your SMU offer of admission, log in to the SMU Online application tool and select the “Confirm” tab. You must respond by the expiry date noted in your offer
- To accept the SMU offer visit https://lifestudent.smu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login then navigate to “OFFER” and follow the instructions provided in the admission offer by the university.
University Semester Exam Results
Check your SMU semester Results
Checking SMU, Semester exam results can be done through visiting the official SMU website or logging in into the student’s portal through https://lifestudent.smu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_loginh the click on the Results tab
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University Website