About Rhodes University, RU
Rhodes owes its unique character among South African universities to a combination of factors some historical, some geographical, some cultural and some architectural. An important influence in this respect is the University’s smallness which, together with its residence system, allows unusually close contact between students and their lecturers, in surroundings that foster fellowship and learning. Small classes mean more personal attention and encourage greater involvement of students in their work. The end result is that successive generations of Rhodes graduates have had an influence on southern Africa and world affairs out of all proportion to their small number.
The University comprises numerous faculties, schools, colleges and departments. Find the list of Faculties and or colleges available at the university (RU)
List of Departments
- Afrikaans and Netherlandic Studies
- African Languages
- Biochemistry, Microbiology
- Biotechnology Innovation Centre
- Business School
- Centre for Higher Education Research, Teaching and Learning
- Classical Studies
- Computer Science
- Economics and Economics History
- English Language and Linguistics
- Environmental Science
- Extended Studies Unit
- Fine Art
- Human Kinetics and Ergonomics
- Ichthyology and Fisheries Science
- Information Systems
- Journalism & Media Studies
- Literary Studies in English
- Mathematics (Pure and Applied)
- Modern Fiction
- Music & Musicology
- Physics and Electronics
- Political and International Studies
- School of Languages
- Zoology and Entomology
University Contact Details
Rhodes Contact details
For various queries that involve admission, student help, the fee structure, courses and requirements at the RU you can use the following contact details and information.
Rhodes University Address
- PO Box 94
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Rhodes University Contact number
- +27 46 603 8111
Rhodes University Email Address
University Admission Requirements
Rhodes University, RU Courses and Requirements
To secure admission at the RU prospective students must meet the University admission requirements for the specific academic year. The following are the admission requirements for admission at RU.
Your application will only be considered for admission to the University if you qualify for Bachelor’s degree study AND you satisfy the faculty requirements. To qualify for with a Bachelor’s pass status, learners are required to take seven subjects, four of which are compulsory (two languages, Life Orientation and either Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy) and three of the learner’s own choice from the subjects on offer at the school.
To qualify for degree studies at Rhodes University, learners must pass:
English language at an achievement rating of 4 (50 – 59%) or above.
At least four of the seven subjects must be from the list of recommended subject list set out below and sutdents must have obtained an achievement rating of 4 (50 – 59%) or above.
Meet Faculty requirements: subject requirements and percentage required.
PLEASE NOTE: Obtaining the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance!
Recommended subject list:
Accounting, Agricultural Science, Business Studies, Consumer Studies, Dramatic Arts, Engineering Graphics & Design, Economics, Geography, History, Information Technology, Languanges, Life Sciences, Mathematics / Mathematical Literacy, Music, Physical Science, Religion Studies, Visual Arts.
The minimum entry requirements for admission to Rhodes University in 2022 are set out in the following table below. Note (a) the point levels that are required (b) the differences in the achievement levels that are needed for Mathematical Literacy, (c) the need for Life and/or Physical Sciences for degrees in Science or Pharmacy.
HOW TO CALCULATE YOUR ADMISSION POINT SCORE (APS)
The percentages achieved in National Senior Certificate examinations (preliminary and final examinations) will be allocated an admissions score using the percentage obtained for each subject. The sum of six subject scores, excluding Life Orientation but including English and any other required subject(s) for the relevant programme is considered when deciding on admission. Results below 40% for any subject do not attract a score. Mathematics Paper 3 does not contribute to the APS score but the results will be captured for the Dean to note when making an admission decision.
Courses and Programmes Offered at Rhodes University, RU
- Bachelor of Business Science
Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Economics
- BEd (Foundation Phase Teaching) degree
- BEd (in-service) degrees
- 4 – Year LLB
- 3 – Year LLB
- Bachelor Of Pharmacy
Rhodes University Prospectus (Rhodes RU Prospectus Pdf Download)
RU Prospectus comprises the list of courses, course information, campus facilities, accommodation, fees, financial support or bursaries, entry requirements and all admission application information to guide you through the RU admission process.
University Fees structure
Rhodes Fees structure – RU Fees structure
If you are looking for the RU Fees structure, this information is quite helpful and can be used positively.
- Visit the Rhodes RU webpage at: https://www.ru.ac.za/
- Navigate to the Rhodes RU Fees structure Page
- Upon successfully visiting the page you will find Fee structure details as per your requirements.
- Access the RU Fees and or download the fees brochure on your device for reference
University Student Portal
Accessing RU Student Portal | ROSS
The RU student portal provides an engaging student experience with a single point of access to all applications, information, and content necessary for university studies.
How to access/login to the Rhodes student portal (ROSS)
- Open your internet browser e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- Go to: https://ross.ru.ac.za/
- Then log in with your username and password
- Once logged in, you will be able to perform any of the academic activities.
How to Recover Your RU Student Portal Forgotten Password?
- To reset your password, submit your username or your email address. If you are found in the database, an email will be sent to your email address, with instructions on how to get access again.
University admission- Online application
RU Online application
To complete your RU online application please follow the following application procedures:
- Visit the RU website and click on the Admission > Apply for Admission
- Online Registration; Fill in your Information To register.
- Upload supporting documents; Everyone applying for a new qualification must submit the required documents (all first-time applicants and RU students starting a new qualification).
- RU Application fee payments (Note some universities do not charge application fees)
- Submit your completed application: To complete the application; the applicant is required to complete all steps related to the RU application process.
When to apply at RU – RU application dates
Applications open between May and close around August every year. Please try to submit your application as soon as possible. Because some Universities do not consider late applications.
University Application status
RU Application status
When the RU updates your application, you will receive email communication. Please Keep on monitoring your email account closely for updates. You can also check your status online with the log-in credentials that were provided after your application. Keep in mind that some universities do not disclose your application status telephonically.
To check the progress of your application through the RU Online application portal follow these easy steps:
- Go to: https://ross.ru.ac.za/
- Fill in the username and password then submit
- Upon successful login to the application portal, you will be able to see your application status (i.e. Pending Review, Requires Action, Complete, Undergraduate Admission Decisions, Pending, Admitted, Cleared Provisional, Admission, Ineligible, Quota Filled Not Selected or Cancelled).
University Admission offers
How to accept Rhodes admission offer
After a successful application, you will receive an admission offer from Rhodes University, to accept your RU offer of admission, log in to the RU Online application tool and select the “Confirm” tab. You must respond by the expiry date noted in your offer
- To accept the RU offer visit https://ross.ru.ac.za/ then navigate to “OFFER” and follow the instructions provided in the admission offer by the university.
University Semester Exam Results
Check your Rhodes semester Results
Rhodes University Website