About Gauteng City Region Academy – GCRA Bursary
What is gcra bursary?: GCRA is responsible for building a pool of skilled, capable and ethical workforce for the Gauteng City Region. This is done through different interventions, i.e., bursaries, internships, learnerships, skills programmes, etc.
The Gauteng City Region Academy bursary programme is open to all qualifying youth, with particular preference given to youth from Gauteng, who wish to study for an undergraduate and/or post-graduate programme at an accredited and registered Post School Education and Training institution in South Africa. The bursary covers the full cost of study, with conditions, as stipulated in the bursary contract.
Bursaries: The Top 3 Grade 12 learners from all No-Fee paying, SSIP and LSEN government schools in Gauteng qualify for a bursary to study at a recognised Higher Education Institution (HEI) or a Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) College.
The GCRA bursary covers tuition, a laptop, accommodation and learning materials for students who need funding to further their studies within the Gauteng province.
Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) 2023 Bursary Applications to promote quality education, training and skills development
GCRA bursary 2022 closing date: 28-February-2022
GCRA bursary requirements and Criteria
Applications Are Open For the Following:
- Students who completed matric and reside in Gauteng – Proof of residence required
- Students intending to study an undergraduate programme and have been accepted at an accredited PSET institution of learning and/or are currently registered for such.
- Students who want to pursue Post-Graduate studies and have been accepted at an accredited institution of higher learning
The following students automatically qualify, but must also complete the application form online:
- Top Achievers from Gauteng Schools
- Top learner from no-fee paying schools in Gauteng
- Top 3 learners from LSEN schools in Gauteng
- To Qualify for a GCRA bursary award you must be:
- A South African Citizen
- Youth residing in Gauteng between the age of 18 and 35
- Certified copy of South African ID(by birth)
- Proof of Gauteng residence(utility bill or letter from ward councillor)
- Matric Certificate and or latest academic results(certified)
- Proof of income from the parent(s) or guardian(s) or affidavit
- Letter of Motivation(not more than 2 pages)
- Proof of registration or acceptance letter from PSET institution
- Disability or medical report(where applicable)
The GCRA Bursary Registration and Application process will take prospective bursars through the following important steps:
- Step 1: (Creating your Profile): Where you will be asked to fill in Personal Details, Address Details, Matric Result Details and Guardian
- Step 2: (Application(s)) In this step you will be asked to fill in Tertiary Institution Details, Other Sponsor Details, Upload Compulsory Documents, as well as accept Terms And Conditions
GCRA bursary online application 2023 (GCRA bursary 2023 application)
How do I apply for gcra bursary? : Here is a guide that will help you understand how the Gauteng City Region Academy Bursary system works and how to apply for bursaries online. Here is an overview of the procedure to be followed:
- Go to any internet browser (Opera, Chrome or Internet Explorer) on internet enabled phone.
- GCRA bursary portal login / Registration: Then visit the GCRA bursary 2023 application portal through: https://gcrabursary.gauteng.gov.za/Account/Login
- GCRA bursary 2023 application form: Kindly register as a new user or log in as an existing user (your email address and password is important)
- You’ll be able to access your dashboard and you can then apply with your profile and then upload the required documents.
GCRA Bursary System User Guide (Pdf Attached below)
GCRA bursary contact details
For communication with the Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursary kindly use the contact information mentioned below :
- 17 Simmonds Street, Marshaltown, Johannesburg, 2000
GCRA Contacts / Email address
- 0800 000 789 or 011 355 0000
- [email protected]
For Bursary Renewal Enquiries:
To learn more about the Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Read these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) as well.
GCRA Frequently Asked Questions – GCRA FAQS
Who qualifies for GCRA bursary?
The following are the set of requirements to be met to qualify for the bursary:
- The applicant must be a South African citizen
- Applicant must live in and have completed matric in Gauteng
- Applicants must be between 18 and 35 years of age
- Undergraduate and postgraduate applicants must be studying towards a qualification at an accredited institution
- Applicant must have a strong academic record
It must be noted that an applicant could meet all of these requirements and still not be accepted due to the strength of their competition and a number of other potential factors.
How much does gcra bursary pay
- Those staying in residence will receive a maximum amount of R 65,000. Students residing off-campus or in private accommodation will receive a maximum of R 47,000.
How does gcra bursary work?
- Gauteng City Region Academy bursary funds are paid directly to the institution where successful candidates are studying, however, certain funds (laptop and book allowance) may be paid directly to students. Living allowances will also be paid directly to students.
When will gcra bursary respond?
- GCRA will calculate the final amount each bursar will receive. Shortlisted candidates will get notification regarding their selection within 3 to 4 weeks of the closing date. If you didn’t receive an email or phone call by then, consider your application to be unsuccessful.
When will gcra bursary open for 2023
- The Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) is inviting students residing in Gauteng, to apply for bursary funding for the 2023 academic year. The GCRA bursary provides funding for Undergraduate and Postgraduate qualifications, in ANY field of study.
What does gcra bursary cover?
The Gauteng City Region Academy bursary covers tuition, a laptop, accommodation and learning materials for students who need funding to further their studies within the Gauteng province.
- Tuition as prescribed by the Higher Education and Training Institution excluding (clubs, and gym-related fees)
- Residence Fees – Catering residences capped at R65 000 or as decided by the Bursary Committee
- Off-Campus and Private Accommodation capped at R47 000 or as decided by the Bursary Committee
- Laptop and Books – proof of purchase required, e.g. receipts to be submitted to GCRA
- Living Allowance for students staying in Self-Catering and Off-campus residences will be paid directly into students’ accounts or through institutions where there are Service Level Agreements
- For Post-Graduate applicants, refer to the Contract Addendum for further Terms and Conditions and funding covered.